North West BMW owners forum
Welcome to NW-BMW, the only BMW site for the North West of England.
Free to Register.

If you have any problems logging in please contact Lorenzo. nw-bmw@live.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to NW-BMW, the only BMW site for the North West of England.
Free to Register.

If you have any problems logging in please contact Lorenzo. nw-bmw@live.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rant about people buying cars

+4
Lee
Lorenzo
jpick
RobBMW
8 posters

Go down

Rant about people buying cars Empty Rant about people buying cars

Post by RobBMW Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:26 pm

Do you guys get irritated by people who don't give a toss about cars?

My mate has recently put down a deposit for yet ANOTHER brand new car! He gets a brand new car every two years! I asked him what he got he says "A new mini with red paint blah blah blah"

Now despite the fact that he's new going to have his gender questioned, I asked him about what engine he asked for and he couldn't remember!? Shocked

This got me IRATE for some reason?
It baffles me how people can just go put all this money down for new cars, then not care! I was looking at buyig a new car a few years ago and did all the research, found out all the common faults etc, how easy they were to fix etc then while I was looking at them in show rooms I was asking about these problems etc to ensure they'd been fixed or would be!
So it confuses me how people can go into these showrooms go through the order list and only really care about colour etc!?
I asked him if he'll be checking it for defects when he picks it up to which he replied:
"there won't be any, thats why I paid for a new one"

To which I went on a rant about swirl marks in paint etc and how I'd been in the BMW showroom last weekend, looking at a brand new 3-series in the showroom, but the swirl marks in the paint were worse than my E36!! I'd be horrified to have a new car with even these minor issues!

Also people who don't seem to care that they could buy a much cheaper version of the exact same car, probably with a bigger engine etc, for a lot less money, albeit with a few more miles etc. This was the main factor that made me see sence and go back to older vehicles! Personally I think they're easier to run, quicker for my money and cheaper then losing the depreciation!

Just wondered if I'm the only one who gets mad at these peopl who don't care!
RobBMW
RobBMW
Nw-BMW VIP
Nw-BMW VIP

Car(s) : E36 328i Sport Individual

Back to top Go down

Rant about people buying cars Empty Re: Rant about people buying cars

Post by jpick Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:23 pm

not just you mate, bugs the hell outa me too, bet remy gave the sales rep a nightmare day when she got hers, no doubt she'll fill us in on what she grilled him about Very Happy
jpick
jpick
Nw-BMW VIP
Nw-BMW VIP

Car(s) : no bmw's, sold for a banana, still like to keep up with things tho!

Back to top Go down

Post by RobBMW Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:54 am

haha yea i'd be interested to know if u did Remy (if you read this)

I couldn't believe the paint errors I can now find in new cars! Most of them are in a poor state before they ever hit the road it seems!
RobBMW
RobBMW
Nw-BMW VIP
Nw-BMW VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzo Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:47 am

I get what you mean, I sometimes get jibes like "Why do you not just get a new car? (Like I have)", "Why do you run round in a car that drinks juice and is old"

I normally reply, "How much do you pay on finance a month?" the conversation normally ends there with silence. When I buy a cheap car like mine i think two things, £750 I paid and I knew it needed a few things to tidy it up and its getting there now, makes you feel good when you can look at your once rough car looking better.
Then the other way I work is IF I WAS TO PAY FINANCE on a lesser car like a Fiesta call it £200 a month well that means after just 4 months, my car owes me NOTHING at all. If it dies bad it goes in the bin, I own my car outright and I owe nobody any money for having it. I have bought a car on finance once and will never do it again, (i bought a KA and hated it after 4 weeks when I was 18, and I was stuck with it).
Lorenzo
Lorenzo
Admin
Admin

Car(s) : Non BMW for now

http://www.nw-bmw.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:12 am

I agree with the whole owning the car outright bit. I owe money on my van but that is.entirely different as from a business point of view I get more tax relief by having a loan against it. If I decide to change my car I will save the money up to buy it outright.
Lee
Lee

Car(s) : E90 330d

Back to top Go down

Post by RobBMW Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:11 am

Lorenzo wrote:I get what you mean, I sometimes get jibes like "Why do you not just get a new car? (Like I have)", "Why do you run round in a car that drinks juice and is old"

I normally reply, "How much do you pay on finance a month?" the conversation normally ends there with silence.

I get the same things asked! I've up to now failed with replies so thanks for the ammo there Loz! Very Happy
RobBMW
RobBMW
Nw-BMW VIP
Nw-BMW VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzo Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:44 pm

you see them look at the floor and think... some do say fair enough yes. But I would rather put more petrol in my gas guzzler than have a little car on drip. If I am skint one month just drive it less. You tell a finance company you want to pay less one month lol

Also on the ignorance of cars thing, I think thats why most forums are "older" cars due to the fact that most people buy new cars for no hassle motoring but mainly to SHOW OFF that they own a brand new car.
Lorenzo
Lorenzo
Admin
Admin

Car(s) : Non BMW for now

http://www.nw-bmw.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Most new cars are gash anyway. Too many gadgets to go wrong, everything is made from plastic, they're heavy and have too many safety features. Who wants or needs traction control!?

I much prefer older cars to drive, look at and work on. Buying a new car is just lazy and for people who aren't really that into cars and just want to show off IMO.

Saying that though, if someone wants to buy me a new m3, go right ahead! Laughing
Phil
Phil
Admin
Admin

Car(s) : Range Rover Sport

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Leader Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:10 am

I'd get bored with the lack of little fixing jobs to do on a new car; that's half the fun of owning older cars (although within reason i.e. French cars.) You get a good sense of achievement by keeping them going and in good order. A car is more of a hobby to me than a form of transport and i don't think i could get that out of a new one.

Plus the thing with new cars is that in general, the cheaper ones are nasty slow shitboxes, and it's only when you start to spend big money that you get into the good ones. But with used cars at pretty much any price level there is always a good cross section of stuff to choose from.
Red Leader
Red Leader
Nw-BMW VIP
Nw-BMW VIP

Car(s) : E36 328i Coupe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacko Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:43 am

I don't let it worry me, i just laugh at the depreseation values. Very Happy

I don't understand why people do it though, but then people who buy brand new cars don't understand why i work on older ones.
Jacko
Jacko
Gold Member +
Gold Member +

Car(s) : E21, E28, E36

Back to top Go down

Post by Remy Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 am

lmao!!!

Depreciation values Shocked I've had mine 2 years this may (paid for since day dot) and lost £2500 grand a year. Shes now worth about £9k and was £30 at new Shocked i'd no way pay £30 new...

TBH i went bored one day to the dealers. I had a MINT 53 plate 318 TISE purple individual model with every upgrade possible... god i miss her interior but i wanted a growler....

So bored i went in and they had this red.... Embarassed I love red hot hatches... and she was a 130! She looked great. Ticked all the boxes. I took her for a test drive and she sang and i fell in love Very Happy I have to have her! Only thing is i do wish i'd looked up options etc as i'd so have probably found the same with angel eyes/xenons as factory fit, other than that, she IS the best red available on that model!

The dealer and i thrashed out a deal Very Happy and the week after i picked her up! and have audi baited ever since! Still love her! Still makes me smile. ALOT.

I have similar friends, new cars, no idea at all what colours, what standard problems, what options available, what other similar cars for the money!

I did know there was many other great cars i could have had for the money of mine but i wanted HER Very Happy
Remy
Remy

Car(s) : M135i

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down