North West BMW owners forum
Welcome to NW-BMW, the only BMW site for the North West of England.
Free to Register.

If you have any problems logging in please contact Lorenzo. nw-bmw@live.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to NW-BMW, the only BMW site for the North West of England.
Free to Register.

If you have any problems logging in please contact Lorenzo. nw-bmw@live.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Phone Scam

5 posters

Go down

New Phone Scam Empty New Phone Scam

Post by jonttt Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 pm

PLEASE PASS ON.

The new telephone 'scam' has arrived.

You get a call from a 'representative' of BT, informing you that he is disconnecting you because of an unpaid bill. He demands payment immediately of £31.00, or it would be £118.00 to re-connect at a later date.

The guy is not even fazed when you tell him you are with Virgin Media etc...., allegedly they have to pay BT a percentage for line rental!

You ask the guy's name - the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number - 0800 0800 152

Obviously the fella realises you do not believe his story, so offers to demonstrate that he is from BT. You ask how & he tells you to hang up & try phoning someone - he would disconnect your phone to prevent this.

AND HE DOES!!

Your phone is dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phones you again.

Very pleased with himself, he asks if that was enough proof that he is with BT. You ask how the payment was to be made & he says credit card, there & then.

Let as many people know by word of mouth of this scam.

The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please let as many friends & family aware of this.

This is good but not that clever. He gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800 152 which takes you through to BT Business. The cutting off of the line is very simple , he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out - but he can hear you trying. (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it). When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back. You could almost be convinced!

The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool the elderly, vulnerable and Coupe owners.

Once they have your credit/debit card details, there is nothing to stop them cleaning out your account and buying an MX5 Shocked
jonttt
jonttt

Back to top Go down

New Phone Scam Empty Re: New Phone Scam

Post by Joe Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:22 am

Good info there pal.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cool
Joe
Joe
Admin
Admin

Car(s) : E36 325i Coupe Cosmic Black

http://www.nw-bmw.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorenzo Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:09 pm

thats wrong!!!!! i hate scamers
Lorenzo
Lorenzo
Admin
Admin

Car(s) : Non BMW for now

http://www.nw-bmw.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Glad I don't bother having a land line any more, it was only ever scams and the odd muppet trying to sell me a kitchen or double glazing anyway!

Worth being aware of though incase they do a similar thing with mobiles!
Phil
Phil
Admin
Admin

Car(s) : Range Rover Sport

Back to top Go down

Post by mayze Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:06 am

Unfortunately most scams like this are aimed at the old and less clued up members of society.

This particular scam is a couple of years old.

Others are if your card has been stolen mr fraudster calls you up and says hes calling from your bank and yours cards have been found please confirm your pin so he can cancel your card.

The you have won the nigerian lottery please can i have your bank details to send the payment too.

and lastly the fraudster calls up claims to be from your bank and you account details have been compromised please send all your cards to me at.

I used to work as a fraud investigator and dealt with victims of these crimes every day unusually and in my opinion the worst criminal in these cases is the banks who will often not pay out in these cases.
mayze
mayze
Gold Member
Gold Member

Car(s) : e30 325 Dirty old Diesel Saab

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum