North West BMW owners forum
Welcome to NW-BMW, the only BMW site for the North West of England.
Free to Register.

If you have any problems logging in please contact Lorenzo. nw-bmw@live.co.uk
North West BMW owners forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VW Golf GTI - Coolant

Go down

VW Golf GTI - Coolant Empty VW Golf GTI - Coolant

Post by peter-uk on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi its only me again, I was wondering if the wrong coolant in a Golf would make the engine coolant light switch on and if so how would I drain and replace it. The Golf is a 2002 model year btw.
peter-uk
peter-uk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Car(s) : 2001 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue, Black and Grey contrast leather. White markers and fog lights.

Back to top Go down

VW Golf GTI - Coolant Empty Re: VW Golf GTI - Coolant

Post by Phil on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:32 pm

no it shouldnt affect the sensor. The sensor failing is a common problem on the mk4 though.

About £25-30 for a new bottle including sensor I think.

You want to make sure it does have the right coolant though as vag uses special stuff that is a different blend to most and may cause internal damage if mixed or the wrong stuff is used.

To drain it, just take the bottom hose of the rad and let it all out. Re-connect the hose and fill up with the cap off and engine running with heater on full heat. This should let it self bleed. make sure the thermostat opens and coolant gets round the whole system.

VW Golf GTI - Coolant Sig_NW-BMW_M3
Phil
Phil
Admin
Admin

Car(s) : Range Rover Sport

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:51 pm

Mk 4 Coolant bottles are prone to going and bringing the light on.

The level sensor is in the bottle as Phil says and is only 2 steel rods that conduct a signal through the water from one rod to the other when the coolant level is correct.

When the coolant level is below the minimum level there will be no water to conduct the signal from one rod to the other hence it bringing the light on.

After time these rods corrode and rust making the light come on.

Go to your dealer and give them this part number : 1J0 121 403 B.

Price is £19.86 including VAT.

If I have read it wrong and it is the coolant temp sensor light that has come on then more than likely it will be a coolant temp sensor that has gone faulty. Again, a very common fault with Mk 4 Golfs.

If it is this then i will more than likely be a 4 pin Green (black if its a really old one)

Part number : 059 919 501 A

Price from dealer : £33.94

Hope this helps mate.

VW Golf GTI - Coolant Nwjoe
Joe
Joe
Admin
Admin

Car(s) : E36 325i Coupe Cosmic Black

http://www.nw-bmw.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by peter-uk on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks for the damned fast response, it sounds easy enough i will give it a go this or next weekend.
peter-uk
peter-uk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Car(s) : 2001 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue, Black and Grey contrast leather. White markers and fog lights.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:56 am

Ah and sorry but i forgot to mention.

If you are doing a coolant change you need to use VW's coolant called G12 which is purple

Part number : G012 A8F M1.

It comes in 1.5 litre bottles and i always supply 2 bottles when doing a change.

Its £8.60 per bottle but worth putting the right stuff in.

We used to do a G11 which was blue and only for cast heads and the G12 which used to be red and only for the aluminium heads.

G11 was phased out many years ago and so was the RED G12 but replaced with PURPLE G12 which could be mixed with either the older BLUE G11 or RED G12 whereas the blue and red couldnt be mixed with eachother at all.

If you are doing a full coolant change for what ever reason, just PM me your reg and i'll find out exactly what collant system capacity your car has so you know how much coolant/water you will need.

Joe
Joe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter-uk on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:18 am

I was going to give it a go until the Mrs told me to book the Golf in somewhere, hey thats no hardship on my behalf. Wish she didnt make such a fuss when the M5 needs anything doing on her lmao.
peter-uk
peter-uk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:01 am

Mate i have worked at VW in Preston for 11 years now. If you want anything doing just give me a shout. Surprised)

Joe
Joe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc C on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi Joe,

Sorry to ask a VW question (2 actually) on a BMW site!

I brought my 1986 VW GTi mark 2 with me to Cyprus. The handbook states that I need G11 coolant but the local VW dealer tells me that all he has is G12.

A local garage has Kroon Oils SP11 (which their website says is perfect for my ancient GTi).

Having read the above comments, am I better off flushing out the system and replacing it with Kroon G11 or VW G12?

There is a slight water leak where the level sensor enters the top of the expansion tank. Can I put PTFE tape around the thread to try and stop it without any concerns? The expansion tank was new about two years ago.

Thanks,
Marc

Marc C

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down